Monday, July 17 – Friday, July 21; Monday, July 24 – Friday, July 28
9:00 – 3:00 pm daily, with two days spent overnight camping at Harrington Beach!
$375.00 for the entire camp
Adolescent students will ride their bikes on the paved trails throughout Milwaukee, Waukesha, and Ozaukee Counties in this extraordinary two-week adventure camp led by Mr. Barry and Mr. Ricky! During the first week, we will be biking approximately 40 miles daily on the Oak Leaf, Hank Aaron, and Interurban bike trails for exciting day trips. During the second week, we will ride the Oak Leaf and Interurban Trails to Harrington Beach State Park for a 2-day overnight tent camping experience in Sheboygan County! (Overnight sessions will be Tuesday, July 18, and Wednesday, July 19.)
Note: This is a much more intermediate and intensive bike camp for more experienced riders, as we will be riding 40 miles a day or more! Students who are looking for a challenging but less intensive experience may wish to sign up for the One Week camp (in which students will ride approximately 30 miles a day):
Week One Itinerary:
- MONDAY, JULY 17: Ride to Ozaukee County Line via Oak Leaf Trail
- TUESDAY, JULY 18: Ride to Greenfield Park and the Waukesha County line via Hank Aaron State Trail
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 19: Swimming Trip! Ride to Brown Deer Swimming Pond via Oak Leaf Trail
- THURSDAY, JULY 20: Ride to downtown Waukesha via Hank Aaron State Trail & New Berlin Trail
- FRIDAY JULY 21: Lakefront Beach Tour—Ride to McKinley Beach, Bradford Beach, and Atwater Beach
Week Two Itinerary:
- MONDAY, JULY 24: “Warm Up Ride”—we’ll do a light “warm up” ride to prepare us for our big trip! Ride to Mequon/Cedarburg and back.
- TUESDAY, JULY 25: Ride from Discovery World to Harrington Beach State Park via Oak Leaf and Interurban Trails! Overnight camp trip and weenie roast.
- WEDNESDAY, JULY 26: Spend the day riding around Sheboygan County! We will do a leisurely bike ride to downtown Oostburg and have brunch at a local diner. We’ll spend the afternoon at Harrington Beach and go on group hikes, then end with a spaghetti dinner around the campfire.
- THURSDAY, JULY 27: Time to head home! We’ll leave Harrington Beach at about 9:00 am and start riding on the Interurban back towards Milwaukee. Everyone can get picked up at Discovery World at 3:00 pm.
- FRIDAY, JULY 28: Closing Day Celebration. Group Choice Ride.
Students enrolled must know how to ride a bike and be able to ride 40 – 50 miles a day. Helmets are required. Students are also expected to bring their own properly working, well-fitted bicycle, and bring a bag lunch for all days except Wednesday, July 26; and Thursday, July 27.
Bicycling Camp is only for the Adolescent Program. Camp costs $375.00. A $25.00 deposit is due once the spot in camp is confirmed. These camps will happen rain or shine, and all participants should properly prepare for the weather. In a simple downpour, we will take cover at the nearest outdoor shelter and resume our journey when the downpour subsides. Camps will only be canceled if lightning and/or severe thunderstorms occur. A strong majority (at least 90%) of each ride will occur on off-road trails, with occasional connections using bike lanes on low-traffic streets and roads.
All students are expected to be courteous riders and to follow all safety precautions, including being able to ride with the group. Students who engage in any habitual reckless or unsafe behavior (including failure to follow all staff instructions) are subject to immediate removal from the group. If students bring a cell phone, it is expected to be silenced/turned off and stored away for the entire duration of camp programming.
Drop-off and pick-up will be at Discovery World each day except where otherwise noted.
2023 Adolescent Bike Camp: Two-Week ADVANCED Camp: July 17- 21 ; July 24-28
Monday, July 17 – Friday, July 21; Monday, July 24 – Friday, July 28 9:00 – 3:00 pm daily; with two days spent overnight camping at Harrington Beach! $375.00 for the entire camp Adolescent students will ride their bikes on the paved trails all over Milwaukee, Waukesha, and Ozaukee Counties in this extraordinary two-week adventure camp led by Mr. Barry and Mr. Ricky! During the first week, we will be biking approximately 40 miles a day on the Oak Leaf, Hank Aaron and Interurban bike trail for exciting day trips. During the second week, we will ride both the Oak Leaf and Interurban Trails all the way to Harrington Beach State Park for a 2-day overnight tent camping experience in Sheboygan County! (Overnight sessions will be Tuesday, July 18; and Wednesday, July 19.)