Since 1968 when Highland Community School was born, we have depended on the knowledge, experience, dedication, strength and resilience of our parent body. The Montessori philosophy encompasses the theory of developing the “whole child.” As part of that vision we realize how greatly our children grow with the support of their parents.
Children with involved parents are more likely to:
- Attend school regularly
- Have better social skills, show improved behavior, and adapt well to school
- Earn higher grades and test scores, and enroll in higher-level programs
- Be promoted, pass their classes, and earn credits
- Graduate and go on to postsecondary education
Benefits of parent-involvement activities for parents include:
- More confidence in the school
- Higher teacher expectations of their children
- Higher teacher opinions of themselves as parents
- More self-confidence
Parent hours are the many ways that parents get involved throughout the year. Each parent supports our students with the commitment to volunteer at least 36 parent hours each year. They can be completed in several ways. Attending orientations/parent teacher conferences, parent committee meetings, school events, supply making, washing classroom laundry, etc. all count toward your 36 hours. Parents can always feel free to check with your child’s teacher to see if there is anything they need.
Here is a list of current needs at Highland.
- Fix 2 tables in Ms. Veronica’s classroom.
- An adolescent is doing research and would like to interview someone who works with adults struggling with substance abuse.
Parent Board & Committees
Highland is overseen by a panel of parents elected from the current body of parents known as the Board of Directors. To learn more about the Board of Directors or to get involved contact the Board President, Nick Petty.
Parent committees are designed to help facilitate the needs around Highland. The committees are fully parent run, and meet as often as needed. To get involved in a parent committee, email Mr. Brian here.
The current list of parent committees are as follows.
- Parent Education Team (PET)
- Health and Wellness Committee (HAWC)
- Fundraising Committee
- Natural Grounds Committee
- Finance Committee
- Special Events Committee
- Bike Walk Eat
- Grant Development Committee
- Creativity Committee
We ask that parents participate in bringing in a snack when their child’s classroom is on rotation. The snack is delivered to all the classrooms so that kids have access to healthy foods throughout the day, and we can’t offer this to kids without you. We have volunteers who help make phone calls to remind parents when they are on the rotation. If you are not getting calls or would like us to use a different phone number, please let us know right away. Please deliver all snacks to the kitchen. The snack calendar for the 2016-17 school year is available here.
Highland Parent Handbook
You can access the Highland Community School 2016-17 Parent handbook here.