Parent Board of Directors
Highland Community School is governed by a parent Board of Directors elected from the current body of parents. The Parent Board has legal responsibility for decisions relating to the operation of the school. It sets and monitors the budget, makes and amends school policies, manages the director, and, in conjunction with the teachers, supports the curriculum. Highland’s experience demonstrates that parent governance of a school can be a critical factor in building school effectiveness. It is the ultimate parent involvement strategy.
Meetings from previous board meetings can be found here.
If you are interested in serving on the Board of Directors, the application process is as follows:
- Get involved at Highland by volunteering, serving on a parent committee, helping out in a classroom, chaperoning going-outs, etc. Active involvement in the school is preferred prior to Board service.
- Complete an application found here.
- Complete a personality test and submit results with your application.
- Reach out to two current board members.
- Be elected at the Annual Meeting.
The Board Governance Committee solicits applicants annually and as deemed necessary as seats on the Board open up. The Board Governance Committee then reviews applications and recommends candidates to the full Board for nomination. Recommendations are made based on the needs of the Board.
Please read about the Roles and Responsibilities of Highland Community School’s Board of Directors for more information about serving on the Highland Parent Board of Directors.
If you are a parent at Highland and are interested in becoming a board member, please contact Sherita Greer, Governance Committee Chair, with questions.
If you’d like to get in touch with the Parent Board, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Parent Board of Directors
Amy Nelson Christensen
Jean Tipan Verella