Our History is Our Future
In 1968, five families on the west side of Milwaukee started a school with strong ideals of what education should mean in their community.
- Nurture the inherent desire for students to learn and build critical skills.
- Create a school environment that welcomes and encourages parental participation.
- Attract a group of students, parents, and teachers that reflects the racial and economic diversity of their neighborhood and their city.
Today we continue to guide Highland Community School with this history in focus. Over 50 years of success has taught us to always return to these basic principles. Selecting Highland means becoming a part of a community, it’s choosing a lifestyle, and connects students to the broader world around them.
Today our Montessori approach to education allows us to enhance on these ideals with a modern view:
- Perseverance in their education
- Commitment to accomplishing their goals
- Adherence to their own self-direction and individuality
- Social Justice
- Compassion and sense of responsibility to others and our world
Our History is Our Future. Help us keep this valuable mission going for years and generations to come. It’s with your support that Highland can continue to focus on the whole child and provide our children with an education our past parent founders worked hard to provide for Highland students.